Saturday, April 6, 2013

My spin on Project Life

I just shared this over on Practical Scrappers and thought I'd share it with y'all too!


When I first started scrapbooking I wanted to preserve the little memories.  I knew I wouldn't forget about the big stuff...but it's the little special moments that are so easily lost.  Lately, especially since having my fourth child I feel like I'm losing those memories long before I get them commited to a page.  

I've always admired the approach to Project Life but for me and my schedule I knew I couldn't keep up with it on a weekly basis (trust me I tried Project 365 and failed about 9 months in....).  With so many companies creating cute little journaling cards and phrase cards I knew I could make a similar concept work in my favor and save more memories that way.

Every couple days I grab a few journaling cards and jot down anything that has happened that I want to remember.  I also have been writing down things about who we are right now (favorite tv shows, etc).  I then add those into my page protectors.  I also am taking pictures that may not be quite layout worthy, are not enough for a layout into the page protectors.  I try to correlate the pictures with the journalling...it doesn't always happen though.

Here's a sample of what one of my spreads looks like:

Some of my favorite stories from the last month are recorded here.  
Here's a couple of rules I made for myself:
1) In addition to the journalling/phrase cards I am only using scraps....I will not cut into a new sheet of paper
2) Keep the page coordinated...so once I commit to a journalling card I try to still stay within that color set up.
3) Do not include any photos that I intend to scrapbook later.  For instance the picture of my baby in the bumbo playing....this is a regular part of his routine but I don't have a desire to do a layout all about it.
4) Write about myself and my hubby too - not just the kids!

So that's my spin on Project Life...no weeks, just lots of quick memories documented before they are gone! 

5 comments:

Lee-Anne said...

That is a great idea Christine! I haven't started the Project Life craze yet, but I do try to take a photo everyday on the Project 365 iphone app. You are a busy lady and I think you do just awesome work!

Lynn said...

I love your idea Christine. It takes the pressure off. It's great to document every day moments, but this looks way less stressful than doing it week by week! I love your design and all your journaling.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

What a great idea!! LOVEEEEEEEE this!!

Ashley Newell said...

This is great! I need to jot down more little stories and funny quotes. I should do that! Thanks for inspiring me!

Lalo said...

I seriously have no idea how people can do project life...I don't even have time to take the photos! Anyways LOVE your idea and how you put it all together...cuteness!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...